Sylpheed-Claws and Gmail
I ran across several pages with solutions to the problem. Only problem for me was that none of them worked as stated.
But here is each step I had to take to get it working for me. Hopefully it will help someone else as well.
Remember, you will need to enable pop email from gmail first.
1. Get the Equifax Certification by going to here and saving the contents into the /etc/ssl/certs folder. Name the file Equifax_Secure_Certificate_Authority.pem.
2. Download thawte-roots.zip from here. You will need to Enter information (Is not verified)
3. Unzip the file and rename ThawtePremiumServerCA_b64.txt into ThawtePremiumServerCA_b64.pem
4. Move ThawtePremiumServerCA_b64.cer into the /etc/ssl/certs directory.
5. Open Terminal from /etc/ssl/certs.
6 Type in c_rehash.
7. mkdir /root/.sylpheed-2.0/certs (Creates a directory in ~/.sylpheed-2.0. Named certs.)
8. Type in cp * /root/.sylpheed-2.0/certs (Copies the new files just created in the new certs directory.)
This alone has fixed the problem according to some, but I had to take some additional steps, I have included them in the event anyone else comes across the same problem. (See Below)